Friday 17 February 2012

mixed feelings

We finally decided to focus on orphan as our project participant. Our objective is help them to develop better social skills, from these they can connect with others effectively. The program will last for one month with four different sub themes will be conducted each week.


Today is my first time went to hospital for play intervention with patient. I never think of how myself will respond when playing or interact with them. But when I really sit next to them and talk,play with them, I feel pity for them;they are so young and have to experience all these pains by their own. A very strong compassion feeling raised in me when I talk to a leukaemia patient. I wonder what kind of feelings she had, does she afraid of it? She looks so calm. Again, this reminds me that we shouldn't take thing for granted, be grateful with what you have and appreciate it. I know I was there not just play with them, but with our interaction I believe play intervention uniquely responsive to children's developmental needs. We are not only interacting with children patient there but their parents as well. But when I listen to one of the patient's mother sharing, I wonder how should I respond. I mind was stuck, I was lack of words. 


For the first time being there, I take this as an opportunity to explore what is it play intervention all about, building relationship with children patient there. I understand is not easy to work with children patients. I know I will experience up and down depending on the patient's condition. I pray that God will comfort and strengthen them as they go through their lives.  

1 comment:

  1. Consider a working definition of an orphan & 'social skills'....developmental range....girls, boys or mixed, from a particular community etc etc etc use the 5 - H, of who what where when how to expand your thinking and planning. Generate questions you need to ask of the ALS.

    Ask what do they need, is it pity...and if its not what do you think it would be? Be aware of the emotions it triggers in you and how they may have an impact on your responses to those you work with. Be able to articulate what those developmental needs are and how a 'system' perspective informs your work with the family. How may you reconcile your own beliefs of salvation from without with those who may not or possessed the capacity to have the same belief framework?

    ReplyDelete